Homemade Musical Instrument: Den Den Drum
BY Janice Davis ON Jan 25, 2012
We have had these homemade Den Den Drums now for about 3 years and the kids still love to play with them. At the time we made these, we were unable to find our own Den Den Drums locally so we decided to make our own. There are so many learning benefits for making your own homemade musical instruments. A Den Den Drum (also known as a Japanese Pellet Drum), is a musical instrument. It is a two headed drum on a rod with beads or pellets hanging on threads on either side of the body of the drum. When twisting or rolling the rod between the palms of the hands causes the beads to swing and strike the heads of the drum. How to make a Homemade Den Den Drum? You will need wooden spoons, drill, thread or string and beads. You may like to decorate your Den Den Drum. We have painted ours and put on star stickers.
- Drill two small holes about 1 cm apart in the centre of the spoon head.
- Thread the string through one of the holes and tie a knot to avoid it from slipping back through the hole.
- Thread the beads onto the string and tie another knot to stop the beads from slipping off. Cut of any excess string.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 for the other side of the spoon.
- Increases and develops pride and self-esteem
- Improves listening skills
- Enhances and promotes creativeness and self-expression
- Rhythm and coordination
- Fine and gross motor development
- Increases emotional intelligence and memory