Keep the kids entertained with Pompom Hockey. It is a super simple activity you can set up at home for the kids, that is fun, challenging and exciting. It also gets little bodies moving!
What you will need?
You will need, pompoms, any size will do, masking tape, paper plates and cardboard tubes.
To make the scoops we just cut the paper plate with 3 straight edges and stuck it onto the end of the cardboard tube with masking tape. We also made square shape boxes on the floor with the masking tape as the goals for the pompoms.
The challenge of Pompom Hockey is to get as many pompoms into your square! The rules of the game are to not use your hands, that only the scoop can be used to move the pompoms around the floor and into the squares.
The Pompom Hockey then developed into sorting the pompoms into groups according to colour. It was fun to watch as they concentrated really hard to separate the coloured pompoms from the mixed coloured group in the centre of the floor.
As my girls were playing and sorting the pompoms into groups according to colour, I thought that this would be a great and fun way to encourage learning about numbers. I placed a number card into each square and the challenge was to put that number of pompoms to match into the square. Depending on the age of the child, you will use smaller numbers and higher numbers for older kids and school age children.
There are many leaning benefits for kids with Pompom Hockey:
- Gross motor skills – scooping, navigating, gliding
- Developing movement, coordination and control
- Eye & hand coordination, focus and concentration
- Developing an understanding about number and collections of how many
- Developing an understanding of colour and the challenge of separating them into groups.
- Building strong bodies: muscles, bones and hearts
- Loads of fun and laughter!
Eye Spy with my Little Eye………other AWESOME pompom activities I have ‘spotted’ around the web!
- Bug Catchers at the Fine Motor Center by Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds
- Caterpillar in a cocoon and Craft by At Home with Ali