Edible Play Dough Recipe for Babies
|Having trouble during nappy change time with a wriggly baby? Try BabyLove Nappy Pants – with no tabs to contend with, the 360-degree stretchy waist allows you to pull them up quickly and easily, so your active toddler can get back to action in no time! Request a sample.|
This Edible Play Dough Recipe for Babies, is a great ‘first time’ play dough for babies and toddlers.
It is super easy to make, contains no salt, is gluten free and is safe for babies, toddlers and older children who are more likely to place play dough into their mouths.
Babies and toddlers are naturally curious and explore the world around them using their senses and this sometimes means they place items into their mouths. When giving play dough to young children, we should try to discourage placing play dough into the mouth but if some does make it in, it is always nice to know that the play dough is homemade and safe for your child.
Edible Play Dough Recipe is the perfect alternative to traditional play dough recipes for babies 12months – 18 months and beyond.
What you will need?
1 cup of Gluten Free Cornflour (cornstarch)
1 ½ cups of baby rice cereal
3 tbs vegetable oil
1/4 cup pureed tin of raspberries in syrup (or fruit puree of your choice)
1 Tbs water
How to make it?
- Food process tinned raspberries in syrup until raspberries are pulped.
- Pour all dry ingredients, baby rice cereal and cornflour into a large bowl.
- Add 3tbs of vegetable oil and ½ cup raspberry puree/juice. Combine well with an electric mixer.
- If the mixture is sticky, slowly add more Baby Rice Cereal and mix well with electric mixer completely before adding more.
- If the mixture is dry, slowly add small amounts of water and mix until the dough is smooth and malleable.
- Turn mixture out onto the bench and knead by hand until the mixture is smooth.
- Store in a plastic zip lock bag or air tight container in the fridge. When removed from the fridge, kneading with warm hands will soften the play dough again.
- This play dough recipe does not include any preservative and will last several days in the refrigerator. The play dough life expectancy will depend on temperature, how long the play dough has been left out and how many children have played with the dough. Please always check the play dough for mould or unpleasant odours before giving it to children.
Play dough is a great tool to build and develop strength and control in the hands, fingers and wrists. This strength and control supports the use of writing tools, scissors and the ability to throw and catch objects. Playing with play dough and the repetitive moulding and manipulating really gives fine motor muscles a real work out!!
Encouraging babies and toddlers to manipulate play dough using repetitive words such as poke it, squeeze it, pull it, pat it and squish it is not only promoting fine motor coordination and strength but also oral language development.
This post is part of a Nuffnang native advertising series.
Having trouble during nappy change time with a wriggly baby? Try BabyLove Nappy Pants – with no tabs to contend with, the 360-degree stretchy waist allows you to pull them up quickly and easily, so your active toddler can get back to action in no time! Request a sample.