These Homemade Number Puzzles are a matching number activity that can be easily incorporated into the home or classroom environment. They are super easy to make and can be easily adapted to the suit the individual ability and needs of the child.
These Homemade Number Puzzles are an hands-on and interactive activity that promotes the learning of number recognition, counting and the value of ‘how many’ each number is.
What you will need?
To set up this invitation to play you will need black paper, sticky tape, scissors, coloured card or scrap booking card and a white crayon (white chalk works as well).
You will also need to download and print: Printable Numbers to make Number Puzzles
- Line a table or area with black paper.
- Print and cut out the numbers.
- With a white crayon, trace around the outside of the numbers onto the black paper.
- Match the paper numbers to the correct number shape on the black paper.
- Count out ‘how many’ pompoms to match the number value.
- Use the pompoms to make the shape of the number.
- Cut each number into two parts to create a matching game. Children will match the coloured paper and the shape of the number to complete the puzzle.
- Fine Motor Development – manipulating objects.
- Hand-eye Coordination and Control
- Language development – Counting our loud and pronunciation of numbers.
- Mathematics – Recognising numbers and their name.
- Mathematics – Value of numbers, ‘how many’, ‘more than’ and ‘less than’.
- Sorting by colour and number.
- Spatial awareness – experimenting with shape, colour and space.
- Problem solving and trial and error with puzzle pieces.
Find more Number Activities <CLICK HERE>