Cloud Dough which can sometimes be called Moon Sand is a homemade mixture used for sensory play experiences.
The consistency of Cloud Dough can be powdery like flour and also mouldable, a bit like damp sand. It is perfect for moulding, shaping, squeezing, pressing and sculpting into different shapes.
Cloud dough has a silky smooth texture and scented by the baby oil. It provides a great hands-on sensory learning experience for children.
What you will need?
4 Cups of Plain Flour
½ Cup Baby Oil
Large tub and wooden spoon for mixing
To download and print this recipe, click here: How to make Cloud Dough Recipe
This recipe provides a descent amount of cloud dough for one or two children to play with. I double this recipe when using it in the classroom for 3 or more children at one time.
How to make it?
- Measure and pour the flour into the large tub.
- Add baby oil.
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Using your fingers, squeeze and press the cloud dough to blend the oil throughout the flour.
- Store in an air tight container.
Please always supervise young children around things that they may place into their mouths. Baby oil should not be ingested.
- Fine Motor Development
- Hand-Eye Coordination and Control
- Cause and Effect
- Spatial awareness – experimenting with shape and space
- Language development – shape names
- Mathematics – capacity, measurement
- Scientific concepts and skills
- Imaginative Play
For more Sensory Play Ideas and Activities <click here>