Let’s Count, sort and match numbers with this fun hands-on activity that promotes learning to count and number recognition.
Children will have fun playing with numbers written on different objects and sorting them in a puzzle-like matching game. The different objects such as the leaves and pebbles generate interest and motivate children to play and learn with numbers.
This activity is very similar to our Number Line Counting Activity using magnetic numbers and a number line to match each number. Take a look <HERE>
What you will need?
For this activity you can use a number of tools for counting and sequencing numbers. We have used pebbles, leaves and bottle tops. We used white out (liquid paper) to create the base for writing the numbers on the pebbles and directly wrote the numbers onto the leaves and bottle tops using a permanent marker.
You will also need to download and print the numbers. We printed our numbers onto cute scrapbooking paper, cut them out and laminated them for durability.
You can download and print the numbers here: Printable Numbers
To begin this activity, we laid out all the printable numbers and counted them out loud. As we were counting aloud, we placed each number in sequence into a line.
- Run your finger over the number shape as if you are drawing it with your finger.
- Sort each number along the number line matching 1-10. Point at each number and count them out loud.
- Talk about each number and the different characteristics of the shape of the number. For example I would say the number 8 looks like 2 circles pushed together a bit like 2 donuts.
- Talk about small and large numbers, such as the higher you count the bigger the number becomes.
- Sing songs and nursery rhymes about numbers and point to the numbers as you say them in the song.
- Fine Motor Development
- Hand-Eye Coordination and Control
- Language development – counting out loud.
- Mathematics – number recognition and number sequence.
- Problem solving and over coming challenges.
Find more NUMBER activities & play ideas <CLICK HERE>
Find more PRINTABLE activities & play ideas <CLICK HERE>
5 thoughts on “Counting and Number Recognition”
You knew I’d adore that you added stones and stick to this. he he he
I was thinking of you when we did this Penny 😉
So cute to see those children play and learn at the same time
all the best