Fine Motor Skills – Sorting by Colour activity encourages the development of fine motor skills and provides children with the opportunity to learn and consolidate their understanding about colours.
These empty spice jars are perfect for threading and providing a fun and motivating way to play and learn with colours while developing fine motor skills.
What will you need?
You will need coloured pipe cleaners, clean empty spice jars with holes, coloured paper cut into small circles and sticky tape.
- Cut the pipe cleaners into smaller lengths to fit the size of the spice jars. We cut our pipe cleaners into thirds.
- Cut out small circles using the coloured paper. Sticky tape these onto the spices jars.
For this activity you could alternatively use coloured match sticks for smaller holes in the spice jars.
- Sort the coloured pipe cleaners and match the correct colours by sight. Thread them into the matching coloured spice jars.
- This activity encourages self-correction
- If your child is not ready for matching and sorting colours, this is a great fine motor activity for just threading and inserting the pipe cleaners into the spice jars. The colours can be added one by one as your child develops.
This activity requires the action of picking up the pipe cleaners between the finger and thumb (pincer grasp) which is great for developing fine motor strength which can later be transferred for pre-writing skills.
- Fine Motor Development – pincer grasp
- Hand-Eye Coordination and Control
- Language development – colour names
- Mathematics – sorting and matching
Click here for more COLOUR activities & play ideas
Click here for more FINE MOTOR activities & play ideas