Here is a simple sensory fireworks play idea, following on from our Fireworks Play Dough activity. It is a great celebration or New Year’s activity for kids. Using a combinations of cheap hair gel, glitter and glitter pompoms to represent the fireworks, we also placed black paper underneath our container to reflect the night sky.
We also extended the Sparkly Fireworks Sensory Play into a fine motor activity using small tongs/tweezers to pick up the glitter pompoms (fireworks).
The most fun of all came with squishing and squeezing our hands through the gel, glitter and pompoms!
What you will need?
You will need a small container, black paper (night sky), glitter pompoms (fireworks), glitter (we used gold), tweezers or small tongs and cheap hair gel.
The Sparkly Fireworks Sensory activity was inspired by reading the story The Night Before New Year’s written by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Amy Wummer. This is a fun story that you can read to children as an introduction to the theme activity.
- Using the tweezers, pick up the sparkly glitter pompoms (fireworks) from the glitter hair gel and place them into a bowl.
- Learn colour: Pick up one colour at a time and count out loud each glitter pompom. How many do you have? Which colour do you have more of? Which one do you have least?
- Sort the pompoms according to size.
- Explore, experiment and play with the items provided in the learning opportunity.
- Place hands into the hair gel, describe how it feels. Is it cold, warm, sticky, or runny?
If you do not have tongs or tweezers, picking the glitter pompoms (fireworks) is also beneficial in developing fine motor skills and the pincer grasp.
- Fine Motor Development – pincer grasp.
- Hand-Eye Coordination and Control.
- Colour recognition.
- Language development – new vocabulary, describing words.
- Mathematics – counting out loud, classifying and sorting.
Click here for more SENSORY activities & play ideas
Click here for more FIRE WORKS activities & play ideas
Available in our online shop:
Please click on the product names to view full product details.