The Counting and Subitising Activity Game Mats Pack supports learning early number concepts through playing a hands-on game. These reusable mats can be adapted to suit different abilities and when paired with dice, spinners and tokens, it encourages children to develop early subitising, counting and addition skills.
The aim of this activity to develop the skill of subitising and counting by creating an environment (visual scene) to recognise the number associated with a particular pattern on the dice, with the clusters of circles on the activity mats and collections/groups of pompoms and tokens made to match that of the dice.
- Maths Tools: Add several maths tools such as dice (numerals & dot arrays), number spinners, tokens, pompoms or counters.
- Adding Dice: Use two dice for children to roll and add together before placing them on the printable mats.
- Play Add and Take: Include a spinner with an addition and subtraction symbol for children to spin. If it lands on take away (-), children remove that many tokens from the activity mats, or if it lands on add (+), adding the number shown to the activity mats.
What is Subitising?
Subitising refers to immediately knowing how many items lie within a visual scene for a small number of items. It is to have a rapid and confident judgement to know at a glance and without counting to identify the number of items in a group. For example, when a dice is thrown the observer at a glance, immediately and accurately knows how many dots lie on the face of the dice without counting.
Why is subitising so important?
- Subitising contributes to early forms of grouping. Seeing parts of a whole or that numbers are made up of other numbers.
- Understanding number relations: Interpreting number in terms of part-whole relationships makes it possible for children to think about a number as being made up of other numbers such as 4 is made up of 3+1 and 2+2.
- Understanding number relation: the notion that numbers are within numbers is important for separating, grouping and combining numbers as well as for multiplication, division and measurement.
- Create a Maths & Number Learning Centre for children to visit through out the day.
- Fun maths game for small group or partner activities.
- Great for morning activities as students arrive to school.
- Follow-on activity from whole class subitising lessons for consolidation.
- Useful resource for consolidating and number recognition, counting and subitising skills.
- Identify beginning, middle and final sounds in simple words.
- Hands-on, reusable tool that an be adapted for different number skills or concepts.
- Bright and Colourful – fun for children
When you purchase the downloadable document for this printable, you will receive 22 Pages Counting and Subitising Dice Activity Game Mats in colour, instructions, photos and activity ideas.
The download includes 22 pages:
- 1 Instructions & thank you
- 1 Ideas & Photos
- 10 Colour Subitising Picture Mat (Portrait)
- 10 Colour Subitising Picture Mats (Landscape)
- Included 5 Re-downloads
The Counting and Subitising Dice Activity Game Mats Pack includes 20 printable mats: a duck, whale, turtle, car, butterfly, rainbow, truck, fish, bus, present, mouse, teddy bear, octopus, dinosaur, penguin, balloon, grapes, watermelon, cupcake.
Other Mathematics Printables Available
Counting Raindrops Printable Maths Games and Activities (STANDARD PRINT) are a great addition to any early childhood environment and numeracy program.
All downloads are Copyright protected to Learning4Kids 2021.
Not to be distributed, transferred, or shared in any form. For personal use only.
Thank you for supporting Learning 4 Kids x