Jelly Play Dough Critters

BY ON Dec 3, 2012
Jelly Play Dough Critters

Recently I shared a recipe for Jelly Play Dough; this is what we did with it!  We created some funny Jelly Play Dough Critters, frogs, owls, funny faces, monsters and a little kitten.  The ideas and the imagination are endless.

Jelly play dough is such a pliable and soft feeling play dough, scented like a tropical fruit drink, it added to the sensory experience of making our play dough critters.

What you will need?

I set up our activity table with an invitation to play with jelly play dough (find recipe here), googly eyes and coloured pipe cleaners.

Click here for Jelly Play Dough Recipe

Let’s Play

The greatest thing about setting up an unstructured invitation to play is that it is open to create freely with no restrictions, or right or wrong way of doing things.  It caters for all age groups and abilities too.  Miss 2’s initial reaction to this activity was to stick and pock the eyes and pipe cleaners into the jelly play dough.

Peer learning, Miss 5 started creating faces and Miss 2 followed behind and copied, creating some hair for her jelly play dough faces.

Let’s Learn

Miss 5 creating a Jelly Play dough Animal by rolling the play dough into a long body shape and sticking legs into the sides.

Learning benefits of playing with play dough:

• Self-expression
  • Imagination and creativity
  • Building and strengthening fine motor skills
  • Eye and hand coordination
  • Problem solving – using play dough to join parts together
  • Social interactions
  • Spatial awareness and shape – 2D and 3D shapes

LIKE THIS POST  Come join the many playtimes here on Learning4kids, please enter your email address in the subscription box to receive updates right to your inbox!

16 Responses to “Jelly Play Dough Critters”

1. Caz says:

Jelly playdough?! This we have to try, I bet it smells amazing. Love your girls little creations :)

2. Debs says:

So cute! This is the type of activity that Maddie loves… (and so do I!) That jelly playdough looks great and bet it smells delicious! haha. Must give it a go :)

3. These look great! Miss Daisy has LOVED the addition of eyes to her playdough kit!! :) Fun!

4. It’s amazing how you can give a bit of play dough a whole lot of personality when you add eyes. I love this post. I can’t wait for my little one to be old enough to start using play dough.

5. Those are adorable. What fun! Don’t you think googly eyes and play dough were just made for each other?

6. Penny says:

Tooo cute Janice. I’m just worried Miss Possum will eat them! :p

7. I love the ‘critters’. Eyes are a great idea :)

8. Rebecca says:

Wow, using Jelly to make play doh, Im super excited. Am defiantly going to try this. I love that it gives colour and smell all in one.

9. Kylie says:

Can’t believe I’ve never done Jelly play dough! Putting this on the to do list now.

10. Katie says:

Adorable! I’m going to have to try this!

11. stephanie says:

This is great. I still cannot get used to you all calling jello. jelly though. I immediately thought you were putting jam in the playdough!! Glad that wasn’t it. :)

12. Karyn says:

I love these! My kids would really enjoy them.
    I just started a new saturday linky and would love to have you come by and link up each week! Thanks!

13. These look great!! I would love to let miss 2.5 play with playdough and bits and bobs like that but I hate waste. How do the eyes and pipecleaners pull up? Could they be reused?

• Janice says:

Hi Jay, our pipe cleaners and googly eyes pulled up fine after being in contact with the play dough and can definitely be re-used…..they are back on our craft shelf for later use (I don’t like waste too :)) Have fun with it!

14. Jode says:

Love the idea of jelly playdough…and such cute critters, we love our eyes here too! Such imagination and creativity in action!

15. These are really cute. I’ve only had the goggly eyes and other bits out for playdough monsters once before but the kids really loved it. I really think I should set it out again. So fun :D