This simple car craft activity for kids provides the opportunity for so much fun and learning. Firstly, making a car craft can be used in imaginative play games and activities, it can also be completed to encourage the learning about the letter ‘C’, what sound it makes and that the words car and craft begin with this letter sound. Making this simple car craft can also be made to create a 1-10 Number Car Wall Frieze which can be used in activities to recognise and count numbers 1 to 10. It makes for a great wall display for children to refer to as they continue to develop their number sense.
Prior to making our simple car craft, we read the story Cool Cars by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker. It was a great way to motivate and introduce the activity.
What you will need?
You will need, 5 large paper plates (cut in half), black card or paper, printable numbers, plastic bottle tops, glue, hot glue gun (to be used by an adult), blocks, paint, bubble wrap and the fabulous book Cool Cars by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker.
- We wrapped the blocks up in bubble wrap and these made a colourful printing pattern on the paper plate car bodies. You can read more about Bubble Wrapped Block Painting here.
- Cut the black paper into a ‘U’ shape to place the plastic bottle top wheels onto the car.
Click here to download and print:
The first step to creating our ‘cool’ cars was to paint the paper plate car bodies using the blocks wrapped in bubble wrap. We placed the painted paper plates into the sun to speed up the drying process. As the paint was drying we cut out the numbers and black paper.
Using a glue stick, we glued the numbers and black paper onto the paper plate with the flat side at the bottom. As the kids were gluing the paper on, I used the hot glue gun to attach the plastic bottle tops onto the black paper.
To personalise our cars, we drew on some windows and people inside the car. We looked through the book Cool Cars for ideas for adding details to our painted cars.
‘C’ is for Counting Cool Cars!
Cool Cars by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker is a great book to introduce children to the letter C sound. Counting seems to be the next natural step to add to this activity as it also begins with the letter C but also importantly brings in learning outcomes related to numeracy, number recognition and counting from 1 to 10.
Fun Number Car Wall Frieze
Making this simple car craft can also be used to create a 1-10 Number Car Wall Frieze which can be used in activities to recognise and count numbers 1 to 10. It makes for a great wall display for children to refer to as they continue to develop their number sense.
- Place the numbered cars in order from 1 to 10 along the floor. Jumble the up and try to unjumble them back into the correct order.
- Play a game to guess which numbered car is missing: Place all the cars in order from 1 to 10 and remove one of the numbers from the line. Count the number line and say which one is missing.
- Sort the cars into groups according to colours, talk out loud the different numbers in each group.
- Sort the cards into groups according odd or even, numbers with holes and no holes and so on.
- Language development: communicating each stage of the activity.
- Oral language development – hearing the sound and saying it out loud.
- Letter recognition
- Working collaboratively: sharing and taking turns
- Sense of pride and achievement of the end product
- Fine Motor Development
- Hand-Eye Coordination and Control
- Cause and Effect
- Mathematics – number recognition, counting 1-10
Click here for more CRAFT ACTIVITIES & PLAY IDEAS
Click here for more ALPHABET ACTIVITIES & PLAY IDEAS
Click here for more NUMBER ACTIVITIES & PLAY IDEAS
1 thought on “Car Craft Activity for Kids”
Absolutely brilliant website. Great ideas which are easy and fun with the outcomes. Will be coming back to this very soon