Sensory Play with Fluffy Christmas Snow

BY ON Nov 13, 2011
Sensory Christmas Activity - Making Fluffy SnowSensory Play Ideas for Christmas

Making Fluffy Snow using soap flakes is a fun and messy sensory play activity.

It is a great way to incorporate a bit of a Christmas theme, well sort of, here in Australia Christmas is celebrated in summer, far from any snow.  But it is fun, encourages lots of learning and that is what it is all about!

It is a great discussion point to have with the kids about how in other parts in the world, that Christmas is celebrated in Winter.

Kids will enjoy finding fun ways to explore the fluffy snow mixture; squishing, feeling and playing with it.

What you will need?

Sensory Play Ideas

To make fluffy snow you will need 1 cup of Soap Flakes, 3 cups warm water, large mixing bowl, large container or tray and an electric beater.  You can find soap flakes at your local supermarket in the washing powder isle.

As you beat the water and soap flakes the mixture multiples, so I placed the large bowl on top of a tray to catch the over flow.

The kids love to watch the transformation of the clear watery liquid mixture to a thick white blob.

Let’s Play

Messy Play with fluffy snow

Miss 15 months was a little hesitant but intrigued at first but that didn’t last long after watching her sisters having so much fun.  She enjoyed climbing and feeling her way around the fluffy snow; rubbing it between her hands.

Let’s Explore

Sensory play ideas

exploring the sense with fluffy snow

The photos don’t show it well but the fluffy snow becomes quite thick and my kids were able to carry it to our large glass sliding door and start creating drawings and squiggles with it.

Let’s Learn

We sprinkled the fluffy snow around the back yard to create a winter wonderland.  It is so easy to clean up with a hose as it just dissolves and washes away.

Why is sensory play so important for our kids?

• Sensory play encourages children to manipulate and mold materials, building up their fine motor skills and coordination.
  • Sensory play uses all 5 senses, but the sense of touch is often the most frequent. Toddlers and children process information through our five senses.  They learning through exploring these.
  • Sensory play is process-driven, not product-oriented; it is the purest sense of exploratory learning
  • Self-esteem: sensory play offers kids the opportunity for self-expression because there is no right answer and children feel safe to change or experiment with what they are doing.
  • Language development:  a great social activity that involves practising speaking and listening skills and learning new words.

More Christmas Activities <CLICK HERE>

LIKE THIS POST  Come join the many playtimes here on Learning4kids, please enter your email address in the subscription box to receive updates right to your inbox!

18 Responses to “Sensory Play with Fluffy Christmas Snow”

1. Lindsi B says:

What a fun activity! And CLEAN too! Love it.
    Would you please share this with my readers for my linky party (Fun Stuff Fridays)?

2. Beth says:

What FUN!! I love this idea! Plus their hands must get really cleanin the process =-) Thanks so much for sharing on TGIF! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving & we’ll see you next week!!
    Beth =-)

3. MiaB says:

How fun!!! This looks like a fun activity for those of us who live in the South and don’t see snow during the holidays :) Stopping by from TGIF. Hope you get a chance to stop by my blog.

~MiaB

4. Jode says:

What lovely photos and such fun being had! I haven’t tried this one yet with my toddlers…but i know it is a goodie! This is my first visit to your blog and i am enjoying it immensely …thank you!
    Jode

5. Julie says:

Janice, love your site! Taking a bit of Aussie crafts to America (Wisconsin). Keep the creativity flowing and thank you for all the wonderful ideas.

Julie :]

6. Cat says:

Brilliant, I cannot wait to do this with my little ones in my New Zealand back garden! Thank you for sharing such amazing activities :)

7. Nikki says:

What soap flakes do you buy?

• Janice says:

Hi Nikki, I buy Lux soap flakes but I am sure this activity can be done with any type of soap flakes that you can by in the laundry isle at the supermarket. thanks! :)

8. Lu says:

Corn flour and shaving foam mixed works great too… Two parts corn flour to 1 part shaving foam… Does leave little folk smelling a bit like man, but hey there are worse things to smell of when your little x

9. Lisha says:

I tried this with my sons (age 7 and 1.5) today. We’re in the Middle East and we don’t get any snow so it was a WONDERFUL experience – so easy, cheap and lots of fun. Thank you for this idea – however, it was a bit difficult to get the little one to restrain himself from putting the ‘snow’ into his eyes, mouth etc so I guess it’s more suitable for twos and up. Thank you again for making my kids’ day!! :-)

10. Jim V says:

Hi, I will be using this idea for MESSY GAME DAY at my church. I run a youth group for kids and this will be fun for them. Has anyone tried adding food coloring to give different colors? I might try that.

11. Chris says:

Hi Janice,
    So pleased to look through your website again, you have so many great ideas!!