Number Sort with 10 Frames is a fun, hands on activity to play and learn with numbers. It sets a challenge of searching for specific numbers amongst a jumble of numbers and matching them to the Printable Number Mats.
I originally made these Printable Number Mats with tens frame to use with play dough for a multi-sensory, tactile learning experience but they have been so useful and easy to incorporate into other play opportunities.
Using magnetic numbers we created a number sort that involves counting, recognising numbers, sorting and matching numbers onto the Printable Number Mats. The tens frame plays an important role of exposing children to how many and the value of that number. It also provides an opportunity to count out loud.
What you will need?
We have laminated our Number Mats for more durability and re-use them again in other activities.
- Search, sort and classify the numbers onto the matching number mats.
- Trace your finger over the number, drawing the shape of the number.
- Point and count how many dots are in the tens frame. Place magnetic numbers that match onto the tens frame dots. Count them out loud. We placed any extra numbers at the top of the number mat as shown on mat number 2 in the photo above.
- With younger children who are not ready for numbers 0-9, start with numbers 0-3 or 0-5. Increase the number mats as the children’s number understanding develops.
- Talk about each number, what they look like and their shape.
- Hand-Eye Coordination and Control
- Mathematics – number recognition and sorting by number.
- Fine Motor Development – manipulating objects.
- Language development – Counting our loud number sequence and pronunciation of numbers.
- Mathematics – Recognising numbers and value of numbers.
- Visualisation and memory
- Problem solving – searching for the correct (number) shape.
Available in our online shop:
You can download our Printable Number Mats through our Learning 4 Kids online shop.
Alphabet Play Dough Mats
Purchase both together
Purchase the Alphabet and Number Play Dough Mats as a set together.