The Printable Beginning Letter Sounds Matching Mats are a fun and useful resource to teach phonological awareness skills. It can be used to support children’s ability to recognise the spoken parts in simple words and isolate the beginning sound.
It can also be used to consolidate letter -sound knowledge that has been previously taught.
It is a great hands-on activity using tactile alphabet letters and matching them to the picture beginning with that sound.
By playing matching games and activities with the Beginning Letter Sounds Mats, children are mastering some important skills such as:
- Concepts of the alphabetic principle
- Letter-sound knowledge: Phoneme – Grapheme Correspondence
- Isolating initial sounds: hearing it and locating an object or letter that begins with that sound.
- Consolidate and reinforce letter-sound knowledge (previously taught)
- Identifying beginning sounds in spoken words and match to grapheme to picture.
- Students LOOK at the picture, SAY the word and HEAR the beginning sound. Find the matching letters to that sound and place it in the box underneath the picture.
- Children can use whiteboard markers to write the beginning sound underneath the matching picture.
- Children can use magnetic letters or other alphabet letter resources to match the letter to the picture beginning with that letter sound. For example, place the letter r underneath the picture.
The final task on the Beginning Letter Sounds Matching Mats is to make a CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant) word. All letter sounds placed in the 3 part grid makes a CVC word that can be decoded (sounded out), segment the sounds and blend to hear the word.
For example, L for lion, E for elephant and G for grapes. Find the matching letters to l-e-g and place it in the box underneath. Orally segment each sound l – e – g and blend to make leg.
This activity can be used for small group, partner and individual independent activities.
The activities can also be used for remedial work for students working on Individual Educational Plans.
Set up an Alphabet Beginning Sounds Learning Centre for children to visit and return to throughout the day. Include alphabet letter charts, magnetic letters, alphabet books and other alphabet resources children are familiar with.
Printable Beginning Letter Sounds Matching Mats Includes 22 Pages:
- Copyright & thank you.
- Instructions & photos.
- 20 Beginning Letter Sounds Matching Mats
This printable is a super time saver activity for busy teachers. There is no cutting required. Just print and laminate to create a reusable resource.
All downloads are Copyright protected to Learning4Kids 2021.
Not to be distributed, transferred, or shared in any form. For personal use only.
Thank you for supporting Learning 4 Kids x